Monday, October 12, 2009

Dear "People on the 545 route" the morning of 10/12/2009

We shared about 45 minutes together getting to work, or wherever it was we were going. If you weren't going to work, well I think I might be jealous. We spend a good deal of time ignoring each other, and that bugs me. Anyway, this is my letter to you.

To the bus driver:
I hope you actually hear me and know that I mean it when I say thanks and I wish you a good day. I want you to feel like you exist, even though we all tend to take you for granted. Seriously, you make the morning so much better since I don't have to drive.

To the guy with the shoes:
I thought it was strange that you sat down right next to that lady when there was a completely empty seat across from me. Maybe you feel uncomfortable in the turny part where the front part of the bus attaches to the extended section, and that is totally understandable. If not, then I just think it's weird the way you sat down with such a flourish and unbuckled the seat-belt that doubles as your man-bag strap. But I will forever recognize you by your shoes. Those black and white, I-belong-in-the-50's things. I bet you're good at the foxtrot or something obscure like that. I'm proud of you for wearing them and I hope they make you feel awesome. I meant that sincerely.

To the guys who stand up way to early:
You really need to get off the bus that fast, eh? I bet it feels really cool to stand at attention and then brush past everybody so you can get to the front. Getting off first is important and all, but last I checked we both made it to the cross-walk at the same time. Whatever floats your boats, homies.

To the people who don't work at Microsoft:
Not that I fault you, but does it feel weird to be on a bus full of people who work at the same place? I sometimes feel like a sheep in the herd being shuttled off to work, and you just sit among us free to go anywhere else. I wonder if that makes you feel free. Or anything. Or if you notice at all.

To the girl I'm pretty sure works at Microsoft:
I'm also pretty sure I might have blown off an e-mail from you because I decided it was too randomizing. Oops.
It's a good thing I've become somewhat invisible on the bus.

To the lady that worked on her laptop the whole time and didn't even close it to get off the bus:
Whoa. Can I buy you a book or lend you my newspaper or something?

To everybody on the bus:
Keep up the good work. Everybody did a great job of pretending everybody else didn't exist.

Until tomorrow,

David

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wish I rode a bus. Kinda. I like my 5 min drive to work though.