Saturday, May 16, 2009

Panic! At the Bookstore

One of the most exciting things about graduating was knowing I had time to read finally. The economics of time when I was school didn't really allow me to read much that wasn't absolutely relevant or necessary to my classes. Well, that's all over and I want to start reading again. So I went to Border's today and it was the weirdest thing. I felt like I hadn't been in a bookstore with no clear purpose in mind and I felt like an idiot that didn't belong there. Book shopping shouldn't be this hard!

I walked through the popular selections area and checked some of them out. I could sense my mind immediately ignoring books that didn't seem like they'd have any impact in my life or that just seemed absolutely useless. Other books I'd look at and I'd feel mildly saddened knowing there's a market for that kind of drivel. Still, I went into a bookstore to get some books and I had no idea what to get.

I finally wandered over to the Christian section which was a new thing to me. I have to shamefully admit I went looking for some books just because people had recommended them to me. I picked up "Velvet Elvis" by Rob Bell and "The Shack" by Paul Young. Both were recommended to me by a guy I respect a lot, but it still felt weird to get something just because somebody else says so. It kind of goes against my "anti-sheep" mentality. At least I finally had something in my hands.

For some reason, Thoreau popped into my head. Everything I've heard about Thoreau screams "boring" and "long-winded". Well, I'm boring and long-winded, and I've loved the small excerpts I've seen of his work. So now I have a copy of "Walden" and whatever other writings ended up in this book.

Finally, I walked over to where I knew I could find some Palahniuk. This is probably the only author I feel comfortable buying his work and knowing it will do absolutely nothing practical for me. However, he writes well and I love the way he paints such twisted pictures. It's like watching a car wreck or something. I love it.

My trip through the bookstore makes me realize my passion for things practical and useful and how uncomfortable I get when I'm just looking for something that might do me some unmeasurable good. It was strange how at home I felt when I walked over to the technology and computer section and picked through books about Sharepoint, programming languages, and Linux kernels. Have I really become that much of a geek?

Perhaps this can be a new growing point in my life. Either way, I'm stoked I got some new books AND I got a $10 gift card. I have no idea what to do with it. Right on.

Feel free to leave any further reading suggestions.

No comments: