Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Twitter Schmitter

I decided to cave in and get on Twitter.

I really resisted this idea for the longest time thinking "this is useless. I don't see why this could be important to me at all."

To be honest, I still kind of think that way. I then realized many of the times I think something is stupid or useless, it is because I don't fully understand it. More importantly, I don't realize the potential.

Well today in Design Studio class, we had a guest speaker named Ron Woerner from TD AMERITRADE. I thought he was a pretty engaging speaker and, in my opinion, the technology oriented talks seem more interesting than the Agile talks or some other topic.

He gave us the quote "Eat like a bird, poop like an elephant." I thought that was pretty awesome. Being in college has really taught me a lot about gleaning as much information from every situation or circumstance. I often feel like a vacuum hungry to learn more. Over the last year, I've been seeing the value of being less parasitic and seeking ways to turn my 'input' into 'output'. This quote is kind of interesting because it denotes the concept of taking in a lot of input and generating a lot of input.

So what about Twitter? I think it can be a new way to get more information and learn more. Along the way, I'll probably end up seeing some of the useless stuff that made me avoid Twitter before, but I think that will be ok. It can also be a way for me to put some of my thoughts and experiences down, kind of like I'm doing with this blog.

Hopefully I can avoid making "zOMG I'm so DePrEsSeD right now I JUST ATE AN APPLE" tweets. ;)

You can follow me at TheDahv.

1 comment:

nickygee34 said...

I caved... yesterday.